Friday, March 2, 2012

Sick? A clove a day keeps the doctor away

Several months ago, I started going through some major changes in my life. Although they were all ultimately good changes, they took a lot out of me emotionally and physically, so my immune system was compromised. I found myself getting sick....and then getting sick a second time....and then, yes, getting sick yet again. Not only were my defenses down in general, but I also work with children every day and am therefore exposed to a lot of germs! After a long time of feeling run down, someone recommended that I try garlic. I was skeptical, intrigued, and honestly somewhat desperate, so I did a little research.

Simply googling "garlic medicinal" will expose you to a wealth of information on the health benefits of taking garlic. Not only is it a natural antibiotic, but it is also said to prevent heart disease, cancer, and viral infections, such as the common cold. In fact, according to the New York Times, studies prove that garlic helps reduce instances of the common cold. I was sold. I mean, why not give it a go? After a bit more reading, I decided that I would try consuming fresh, raw garlic, as opposed to taking it in pill form, because apparently there's no easy way to decipher which supplements work and which don't.

The first day or so of taking the garlic, I was sweating and felt different in my body, like I could feel it coursing through my veins. However, after five days in a row of taking garlic once a day, I was no longer sweating, and I felt better than I had in months! I think that the garlic was really helping my body heal. It was like I had gained a new sense of energy. Since then, I have taken garlic about once a week for maintenance, and also whenever I feel run down or have been around people who are sick. I have not fallen ill at all in that time.

Now, hear me out. I know garlic is strong. It can upset one's stomach and also make you smell so that no one will want to speak with you (let alone kiss you). No one wants that. So, I figured out a way to circumvent those annoying side effects. Here's my routine:

1. In the morning, before eating, press about a tablespoon of organic garlic (a few raw, peeled cloves) into a spoon and let it sit for 14 minutes (makes the potency of allicin, one of the key components in garlic, stronger). 
2. Prepare a cup of ginger tea. 
3. After the 14 minutes, take a few sips of almond milk (to reduce the acidity in the stomach, since I have a sensitive one), pour honey over the garlic (to coat it), and then swallow the spoonful whole - no chewing or tasting! Just one gulp! (This is key if you don't want to smell like garlic.)
4. Drink water and some more almond milk. 
5. Drink the ginger tea and have a little breakfast shortly after. (Breakfast before ingesting the garlic is not as effective at keeping the garlic taste away.)

By following these five steps, my stomach doesn't hurt, and I find that I really don't smell of garlic at all. (Trust me, I've asked multiple people if they smell any garlic, and the answer is repeatedly a resounding, surprising, "No.")

I know it sounds intense, but I can honestly say that I am hooked and will never turn back. A little while after I started my garlic routine, my sister came down with a bug and was sick for a while. Out of sheer longing for health, she decided to give garlic a try. The next day I got a message from her saying, "Well, I guess we'll never know what really made me feel better, but I'll be taking the garlic again today." And, she's been taking it ever since. So, if you are daring, intrigued, or are ever in a desperate moment, definitely give garlic a try. I'm certainly convinced that the saying should be, "A clove a day keeps the doctor away!"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Carly I just woke up with a really sore throat so I will be trying your garlic regimen. I will keep u posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear how it goes!!!

    ReplyDelete