Thursday, January 12, 2012

"The world's mine oyster..."

"There is nothing that you cannot be, or do, or have." (Hicks) 

In my life, I have had a few spiritual experiences. Okay, that's a lie, I have had a ton of spiritual experiences (most of which I didn't notice, but that's what life is - one big spiritual experience). What I am referring to, though, are those knock you down, in the moment realizations that you are inarguably, absolutely, unequivocally part of the spirit of the universe and that all has always been, is, and always will be alright. In those moments, I feel so calm and serene, and wish that I could live all my hours in that state. However, in general, I spend the bulk of my existence engaged in this activity or that and forget that I am joined with that great spirit. Although, the amount of time that I live within the consciousness of it is growing. It's far more common to find me taking a mindful approach to something now than it ever was in the past. 

As the days go by, I can see just how much of my experience depends on my beliefs about the universe and that great undercurrent of all there is. When I choose to think in small, negative, fear-based ways and am detached from that consciousness, my experience is never helped. Regardless of the outcome and whether it is what I originally wanted, thinking positively about it and cradling myself with the faith that things are forever perfect and just as they should be allows me to flow through life the way I know I am supposed to.

The more I do this, the more I realize that I am only limited by myself. I have finally boiled down what I want out of life to things that are entirely emotional in nature. For example, I want to experience the constant undercurrent of the joy in life. Or, I want to learn how to love myself and others as purely as possible in order to experience love in its truest form. Or, yet another, I want to live life like it is a safe adventure, with nothing to fear. I may want to express these longings in certain ways, but ultimately the goal is emotional.

The limits come when I expect my dreams to be realized and pan out in scenarios of my own choosing. When I think they are manifesting, I get the itch to try and make them happen, instead of just letting them unfold. The limits also come when I choose fear over faith. This is the big one, right? Fear - it's such a crippling power. I would be more free to experience life as it should be experienced, and all my dreams could be realized in an instant with the smashing of these two hindrances. What an ultimate goal. As Shakespeare wrote, "The world's mine oyster, which I with sword will open." Today, it's all of ours for the taking. The "it" being anything you could possibly want.

No comments:

Post a Comment