Sunday, May 15, 2011

Can microwavable popcorn make you sick?

Let me just say that the fact that there are carcinogenic chemicals in popcorn bags makes me really upset. Microwavable popcorn - a delightfully delicious snack that I have loved indulging in since I was a child - has supposedly been laced with chemicals from the bag it is popped in!

Dupont is the creator of the dangerous, cancer-causing chemical perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) which is used in popcorn bags. Apparently, the company has agreed to work on eliminating these chemicals by 2015. Really?! It's going to take them four more years to work on eliminating the chemical? On top of it, the artificial butter flavoring that is often used in microwavable popcorn has also been identified as disease-causing.

I have understood for a while now that something "artificial" probably is not good for me, but, honestly, for my whole life up until recently, never have I truly realized the fact that some companies are actually poisoning us. However, lucky for us popcorn-lovers, there is an amazing alternative to nasty, unhealthy, disease-causing, commercial, microwavable popcorn that is safe, delicious, and easy to make.

I think all (or most) of us are aware of the old-fashioned stove-method of making popcorn. You coat the bottom of the pan with a good amount of olive oil, pour the kernels in the pot, cover it, turn on the heat, and then watch the popcorn pop deliciously in front of your eyes. I love this method. However, I will be really honest that the cleanup afterward gets on my nerves. Also, you have to use a good amount of olive oil which, although it's good for you, is still fattening if taken in too large of a quantity. On top of it, when I have made popcorn on the stove, I usually like to add other toppings as well, which adds on to the fat/calorie count. I realized today that there is an even easier way to make healthy popcorn that is also safe and does not require the use of any oils.....paper bag it!

That's right. Put some dry kernels, no butter or oil needed, into a brown paper bag, fold down the open end to close the bag, and microwave until the popping starts to slow down. Then, add whatever toppings you desire (my favorite is melted Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread - which is dairy-free - with a little bit of salt and Bragg's Nutritional Yeast.) In the end, you will have a healthy, yummy snack instead of one that, although it may be tasty, is harmful. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You can even use peanut flour. While it is popping, mix some peanut flour with water until it makes a paste, pour it into the bag, and place in the freezer for a few minutes. The freezer helps make the peanut flour mixture stick! BTW: Peanut flour is an amazing invention. Mix it with water and it makes peanut buttter without all the fat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Peanut butter popcorn...yum. I've seen that peanut butter powder at the health food store. Thank you, I'm definitely going to check it out!!

    ReplyDelete