Friday, March 18, 2011

"Super Nanny" is super

Now, I don't have kids, but I do teach them, and I have to say that there are two sources I have encountered that seem to have good ideas about discipline, strategies, and how to create productive, peaceful environments with and for children. These two resources are the television show "Super Nanny" and the book Have a New Kid by Friday by Kevin Leman. Time and time again, Jo Frost (the star nanny of "Super Nanny") gives strategic tactics, demonstrates successfully how to transform a chaotic household, and consistently maintains patience and calm regardless of the situation. I love that she does not believe in spanking and encourages parents to spend quality time with their children, engage them, get them excited about things, encourage their growth, and create loving bonds with them. Overall, I think she rocks and even I (a woman with no children) have learned so much from her!

In Have a New Kid by Friday, Dr. Kevin Leman outlines a set of strategies to use when running a household with children, all which have similar results and goals to those of Jo Frost. The show "Super Nanny" tends to lend itself towards households with younger children, whereas Leman's book seems to discuss overall strategies that can be used at any age. Also, being that Have a New Kid by Friday is a book, you get a sort of instruction manual that covers a wealth of information in one place and tells you, step by step, what actions to take. It also includes a bunch of common questions with answers for you to refer to whenever necessary. I kept my copy after reading it so that I could refer to it as needed.  However, the show gives tons of fun tips, information on child-rearing such as potty training, etc., and shows how a family uses strategies to transform.  You can watch them in action, actually see how the children react, and basically see the strategies modeled for you.

If you are looking for ways to improve your interaction with children, I highly recommend checking out both resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment